Friday, July 30, 2010

Before and After: Night Stand

This heavy wooden night stand was picked up for $5 at a yard sale a few weeks ago. It was obvious that someone had begun to refinish it by stripping off the white paint that it once wore, then staining parts of it with a very burgundy-colored cherry stain.

I felt a little bad, but I had to undo all of their work. I started by priming it white, then painting it with my custom mixed Robin's Egg Blue ♥.

It then got a heavy handed distressing so that the wood and the white primer would show, then a dark brown glaze was applied to age it.

The drawer pulls that came with the nightstand were not my taste, so I'd planned to replace them. But Hobby Lobby didn't have theirs on sale during this project and, being the cheap and impatient DIYer that I am, I decided to just use what I had. Here's what they looked like.

Too bright. Too white. Too new. So they got some glaze as well.

Unglazed.

Glazed. Muuuch better.

Here it is all done.







I kinda love this thing. I wish I could keep it. For real.
It looks so good in my guest room, but I can't keep everything. I'm going to do this very same treatment to a dresser that I have. Now I'm excited to get going on that one!

3 comments:

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

This piece has a neat shape and you gave it a great finish - nicely done!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the drawer pulls. I have been searching and searching for some nice girlie ones without luck. if you have any ideas would love to know where to look.(forsale_forsale@ymail.com)

Valerie Fjellstrom said...

It is really inspiring to see what you have done. It is a very attractive little cupboard now. I have a similar one (but with just one door and no drawers) sitting waiting for me to update. Now I will get to it and use yours as inspiration. Thank you!
Valerie, Brisbane Australia
vfjell@gmail.com