Monday, November 14, 2011

Before and After: Two-tone End Table and Some Thrifty Finds

A few weekends ago I ventured out to the high school that's just a few blocks away to see what I could find at the rummage sale they were having. Turns out the marching band had been invited to Washington D.C. to participate in an exhibition there and were raising money so they could go. I was in marching band for a couple of years my freshman and sophomore years, so it felt good to help out an organization that I have so many fond memories of being a part of myself.

Anyway, one of the things I came home with was this cute little end table.

Actually, it wasn't so cute and not all that little either, but I liked the unusual shape and it was nice and solid.

I gave this table a two-toned paint treatment with some dove gray on the body and pure white on the top and drawers.

The hardware got painted white as well and the whole thing was then distressed real good. I like how the white primer shows through the gray, plus little peeks of wood here and there. Now I can say that this is a cute table!

This morning the littlest and I hit a couple of thrift stores but only had any luck at one. But what luck I had! Check it out.

I don't really know what to call this thing, but I thought it looked cool. The aged gold artichoke on top is perfect, but I've already painted the base ivory and plan to glaze it in brown to bring out the details. I may even use a little bit of gold Rub 'n Buff to add some interest to that relief design.

I love finding old sterling items. That bud vase is just so pretty, and the cup that I thought was just a cup at first is in fact...

... a 34 year-old tennis trophy!

I also snagged a worn-looking wooden box, a silver photo holder (great for holding Christmas cards or for displaying favorite ornaments) and a chunky gold candlestick that has already been painted ivory.

I picked this terrarium up a few weeks ago on a yard saleing expedition. I just LOVE it! I haven't cleaned it up yet, but I kind of like how weathered it looks from being outside. This thing is H-E-A-V-Y. The lady who sold it to me said she used it as a planter in her backyard, but I could also see it housing lots of candles in various heights and hung from a tree.
I'll be back with another dresser Before and After later this week, so come back soon!

2 comments:

Jake & Lisa Danes said...

I love it all, but I love the terrarium and the wooden box the most!!!!

Kimberly said...

But don't you mean the TWO littlest? :3 You've got someone smaller than Finn now! Those are some interesting things you've found. What are you gonna do with the trophy?